Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Familia nueva

I received information about my host family today!!

We will be staying with our host families in March during an intensive Spanish language course by the CRLA, the Costa Rican Language Academy (as students at CRLA we get free Latin dance lessons, cooking classes, and we "learn about Latin American culture through music," a flashback to Señor Karetskiy's cultural Fridays at Natick High).  I'll be living with the Rojas-Montero family in Vargas Araya (Google Maps has failed me in locating Vargas Araya, but I think it's in San Pedro), which is supposedly a short bus ride from the CRLA.  We'll see how the Costa Rican bus system compares to the green line....
My host parents are older, in their 60's, but their daughters and granddaughters live next door and are in the house frequently, so I'm sure there will be a lot going on.

I also have my first homework assignment: a Spanish placement test.  It doesn't look too bad though; after trudging reluctantly through fifteenth century Spanish primary source texts last fall, questions like "where are you from?" and "what did you do last month?" are much more welcome.

T-minus six days until I leave the United States.  IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment