Monday, January 17, 2011

Adios, USA

I'm here!!  The plane rides were actually very nice, the worst part was the in-flight movie they chose (You Again - never see it).

First impressions:  hot, sticky, lots of palm trees.  It may be humid, but at least there's WARM weather and clear skies. 

San Jose is full of signs in English and McDonald's, so its not exactly jungle territory yet.  I've managed some timid phrases in Spanish to the customs workers and the driver who took me to the hotel where we're staying tonight; I'm hoping I can be less shy about it once it's not as common to speak in English.  Tomorrow we're visiting the Universidad de Costa Rica for our orientation!

I've only been outside of a moving vehicle (plane or taxi) for about 90 minutes to quickly drop my stuff off and meet people, and that was long enough for our group to decide that it was bedtime, a decision I could not agree with more.  It's all quiet at the hotel at the wee hour of 8:30 pm. 

Buenas noches!

Anya

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming you were on American Airlines? That movie was playing on the plane home from Dallas (we were in El Salvador). I agree that it's pretty awful. -Kacey

    ReplyDelete